Working at SD Mayer
At SD Mayer, we understand that balancing family, fun and a rewarding career can be challenging. That’s why we embrace flexible work schedules, paid time off to spend with your family, opportunities to volunteer in your community and an entrepreneurial environment that will help you develop a career path you can be proud of. At SD Mayer, we CARE about you.
We Care About Our Company Culture
Our people are our biggest asset and our culture of caring is infectious. It spreads to everything we do—our work with clients, community volunteering and holiday lunches. Our employees are excited about being part of our company, love their career, respect each other and function as a team.
We Care About Our Clients
Regardless of size, we anticipate client needs, are pro-active and have contact with them at least four times a year.
We also routinely find ways to make sure our clients and referrals know we care about them through tokens of appreciation, like a quick note, a book we think they’d find interesting or a bottle of wine.
We Care About The Community
At SDM, community involvement is one of the core pillars of our business. We believe deeply in giving back to the organizations that have given and continue to give so much to us. Without them, we would just be another accounting firm.
Our employees participate in clean-up days, food bank events, rebuilding homes and some even run their own nonprofit organizations.
From the moment you walk in our front door, you will be inspired by our wall of ground-breaking individuals that carved new paths before us, like Steve Jobs, who once said, “we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do”. At SD Mayer, we don’t want you to just clock in and clock out, but to feel empowered to contribute smart ideas that will help our firm grow and push us into unchartered territory. If you’re passionate about an industry or service line, we encourage you to take advantage of our entrepreneurial nature and bring your business case to our leadership team. We might just ask you to lead the charge. At the end of the day, we want you to be happy about how you spend your day, whether it’s crunching numbers, interacting with our clients or working behind the scenes on firm operations.
An internship is a great way to see if a career in accounting is the right path for you. We have interns work with us year-round, doing everything from working in marketing, to working with our accountants and with leadership. It’s a great way to build your resume, start your career and gain valuable insights and networking opportunities that will stay with you throughout your career.
Seasoned professionals are valuable to our growth and in mentoring our new recruits. We are always looking for experienced accounting staff that bring their wealth of knowledge and insights into our firm. We are looking for people that want to take us to the next level, are entrepreneurial, smart and full of energy.
At SD Mayer, community involvement is one of the core pillars of our business. We believe deeply in giving back to the organizations that have given and continue to give so much to us. Without them, we would just be another accounting firm.We truly care about the communities we live and work in. Throughout the year, we prove this in a couple of ways:
- The Mayer Foundation: Our foundation finds ways to provide financial support for a variety of charitable organizations, including collecting and matching donations from employees.
- We CARE Committee: This committee provides two types of services—volunteer opportunities and client appreciation giving. Past volunteer opportunties have included the SF-Marin Food Bank, Habitat for Humanity and the Boys & Girls Club of SF.
We support your personal and professional development through our affiliations with membership organizations we belong to.
- CalCPA Education Foundation: As a member of CalCPA, you have access to hundreds of CPE courses that will keep you current as an active CPA.
- Tuition Reimbursement: SD Mayer recognizes that the skills and knowledge of its employees are critical to the success of the organization, encourages higher education, and may pay for some portion of the cost for courses which are directly related to an employee’s current job, or which will help an employee prepare for more responsibilities within the organization.
401(k) Plan & Profit Sharing/Bonus Plan
SD Mayer supports employee retirement preparation and investment by having 401(k) and Roth Profit-Sharing Plans, to which SD Mayer may contribute a discretionary amount based on Company profits. 401(k) plans provide a long-term vehicle to accumulate savings. It offers a convenient, payroll-deductible method for you to supplement your retirement benefits.
Paid Time Off (PTO) & Holidays
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
A flexible spending account (FSA) allows eligible employees to set aside pre-tax contributions to cover certain expenses.
- The health care benefit can be used for plan deductibles, and office visit and prescription co-pays.
- Use the dependent care benefit for eligible child care and/or elder care expenses, such as licensed day care, summer camps and after-school programs.
- The commuting expense benefit can be used for public transportation or qualified parking costs.
Health, Dental and Vision insurance is vital to your well-being. We support this by offering you and your qualified dependents options provided by Kaiser and CalCPA Health.
- Kaiser offers a full service plan that includes physical check-ups, prescriptions, vision, labs & xrays and more.
- CalCPA Health offers one HMO option and four PPO options for employees to choose from for their healthcare needs. Through these options you may or may not have to choose from specific plan participants or specialists.
The Company reserves the right to change or terminate health plans or other benefits at any time. Employees will be eligible for coverage on the 1st of the month following hire date.
Long-term care insurance covers care in the event that you cannot perform two or more activities of daily living or suffer cognitive impairment. We offer the ability for you to purchase additional coverage.
- Business Casual/Jeans Fridays: We work hard during the week and believe that as the weekend approaches, we can let loose by relaxing on Fridays. Sometimes we can even get Steve to take his tie off.
- Health and Wellness Subsidy: We support your desire take care of yourself through mind, body and spiritual activities. For example, if you hit the gym, we’ll reimburse some of the costs once you are eligible.
- Traditions: Steve loves traditions, like the annual after-tax baseball game, or the holiday parties. It’s something we all look forward to and great chance to catch up with each other.
- Monthly Staff Meetings: We’re not talking about departmental staff meetings, either. This is the entire company getting together to talk about the state of the union, meet new faces and get some departmental updates and break bread afterwards.
- Smaller Firm, More Freedom: One thing you can’t get from a large firm is the freedom to make a big difference. Your entrepreneurial way of thinking will help us and in turn, will help you. We’re always looking for big thinkers, who will just get things done and make us better than we already are.
- Community Involvement: Our values include caring for company culture, clients and community. If you want to make a different to our firm and the community, we want to talk to you.
- Work With Steve: Steve has a ton of stories that all have great business insights behind them, just check out his blogs. He’s also started two successful firms, owns several businesses and is an all-around great mentor.