After being in the CPA business for over 30 years, I believe that it is up to company leadership to create an environment where business goals align with personal goals. This is not an easy task, but here are 10 to consider:
- Strive to be happy. No one likes a sourpuss.
- Think before you say something. Remember, sometimes it is better to let people wonder if you are an idiot then to open your month and remove all doubt.
- Eat healthy. Get enough exercise. You will live longer and your body will look better.
- Impress people with you effort and attitude. What people think about you is much more important than what they say about you.
- Try your best at work. You are being paid for a full day, so make sure you earn it.
- Get to know your co-workers. Everyone has a name. Try to put faces and names together.
- Dress sharp. Be proud of how you look. Well-dressed people make great first impressions.
- Take great care of your clients or customers.
- Be nice to people who are lower in the food chain than you are. Remember, what goes around comes around and we all put our pants on one leg at a time.
- Have balance in your life. Very few people in their last gasps of air say, “Gee, I wish I would have spent more time at the office.”
I would be curious to see what would happen if everyone followed this list of goals. Let’s see what we would accomplish:
- We would be happier.
- We wouldn’t say as many dumb things.
- We would be healthier.
- People would be impressed with us.
- We would always try our best.
- Everyone would know each other better.
- We would look good.
- Clients would love us.
- We would treat everyone as we would want to be treated.
- We would all have lives with lots of fulfillment.
Not a bad result.